2022 Florida Skiff Challenge Race
Boating endurance event raises awareness about Florida water issues, draws thousands of fans.
The 7th Annual Florida Skiff Challenge is set to kick off at the Flora-Bama Ole River Grill in Pensacola on the morning of Thursday, April 7, 2022.
This four-day test of mental and physical endurance began as a battle for bragging rights between boat manufacturers, but has evolved into an annual awareness event to spotlight Florida’s water issues and the connectivity between clean water and a healthy economy.
This year, six teams will put their 18-foot skiffs to the ultimate test, circumnavigating the 1,300-mile Florida peninsula by water from state line to state line. Each five-man team includes two skiff operators and three land-based support crew. All teams are equipped with extensive safety gear and navigation aids and have pre-plotted their own pit stops for fuel, food, repairs, and rest. Boats may be powered by up to a 70-horsepower outboard motor and can carry a maximum of 22 gallons of fuel at a time.
2022 Team Roster
- Hell’s Bay Boatworks– Titusville, Florida
- Yellowfin Yachts– Bradenton, Florida
- SeaPro Boats– Whitmire, South Carolina
- Key West Boats– Summerville, South Carolina
- Lake & Bay Boats– Sebring, Florida
- Blacktip Boatworks– Pinellas Park, Florida
Route & Event Schedule
Teams establish their own routes and pit stops around the state. All teams will stop at the locations below. Arrival times vary.
- April 7 – Challenge start at Flora-Bama Ole River Grill in Pensacola
- April 8 – Mandatory media stop at Key Largo Marriott Beach Resort in Key Largo
- April 9 – Challenge finish at Fernandina Harbor Marina in Fernandina Beach
3 ways to join the action
The event reaches over 7 million people through social media and digital channels. Throughout the event, viewers are educated about impacted water bodies around the state and can expect to learn about topics such as Everglades restoration, nutrient pollution, habitat degradation, and conservation organizations working to advance solutions.
- Track teams live – Starting April 7, fans can track teams’ real time positions on a digital map at captainsforcleanwater.org/2022-skiff-challenge/
- Join the exclusive Facebook group – Teams, fans, and field reporters post live content to the exclusive Skiff Challenge Facebook group, including behind-the-scenes, pit stop interviews, water quality education, and unfiltered commentary. Fans can also follow along on the @FloridaSkiffChallenge Instagram.
- Donate – Fans can help their favorite team earn incentives by donating to support the mission of Captains For Clean Water.
Press access to teams for interviews and photos are available through Captains For Clean Water.